Make your own delicious ricotta cheese in less than an hour.
MATERIALS & INGREDIENTS
1 Gallon Whole Milk
1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
Citric Acid OR subsitute with vinegar
Cheese cloth OR mesh strainer
Olive Oil (for seasoning)
herbs and spices (optional)
Food scale (optional)
- Sterilizing the pot is the most important step. Sterilize the pot by boiling hot water in it for 5-10 minutes then pour it out.
- Combine milk, cream, citric acid, and 1 tsp. salt. Stir with a gentle up and down motion to combine.
- Heat milk on low-medium heat until milk is approximately 140 degrees or until the milk film has been replaced, on the surface of the milk by a development of curds.
- Use a rubber spatula and scrap the bottom of the pot to prevent scalding, just ONE TIME. Do not stir or scrap again. The curd that is now floating on the top of your pot will begin to look like a volcano erupting with whey.
- The MOMENT you see this whey eruption, remove from heat. Cover pot and let curds rest 20-30 minutes.
- Remove curds with a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer and serve as is or season with your favorite herbs and spices. We used a bit of basil and olive oil.
If you try this recipe, let us know how it turns out!